Our First Missionary Comes Home Tomorrow - No Thank You Deer

Drum roll...
Our son will return tomorrow evening after serving his two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, or the Mormons in the Eastern United States.
We are so excited!  We have talked to him and our daughter twice a year and emails on Mondays.
We are so excited to see him in person and hug him.

We have moved the kids around a bit and chosen a place for him when he gets home. 
Next the kids car needs a few repairs and registration.
He will go back to work quickly when he returns, even though I would love to have his undivided attention for a couple of weeks.  He is so used to being very busy that it will be best for him to come back and get to work.  I know his life will change a lot over the next year. 
We are so excited to watch him as his life unfolds and he begins his schooling.




In addition to being fun loving our son is a hard worker.  I am so excited to get to hear his mission stories as time goes.  We have communicated every week, but to get to hear his laugh and see him again.  I am pretty excited!  I have heard people say they miss the letters when their missionaries get back.  I can appreciate that.  But, I am so happy to take each new on stage as they come.
Our daughter is also a missionary in the Eastern United States just a state away from her brother.   She and her companion hit a deer this last week!  Our poor daughter was driving.  They were where they were supposed to be doing what they were supposed to be doing, so it was considered no fault. 
But, the deer was doing what deer do and cars and deer do not mix well.
   
The damage to their car was pretty extensive for hitting a deer.   They have been doing a lot of walking since then.  Hopefully their car will be sorted out soon.

Tomorrow evening I will be the Mom of just one missionary again.
Though I am so glad to see my son again, I am so thankful for the opportunity and blessing that this has been in my life.  When I rocked my son in my rocking chair those many years ago, I sang "I hope they call me on a mission."  I had hopes for him to go and serve others as he served the Lord.  I had hopes for him to go and act upon his faith and belief in Jesus Christ our Savior.  I had hopes that he might help others to find joy and happiness.  I feel so blessed to have been the mother of two missionaries at the same time. 
Having these two gone at the same time has been a challenge at times.  But, the challenge has a huge silver lining.  The amazing example that these great kids have set for their younger siblings is significant.  We have cheered for them and prayed for them as a family.  We are so happy for them and for their desire to do good in the world. 

One day to go!  


Comments

  1. So excited for you! We truly loved having him in Staunton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy!! I am excited for you to have your son home :) our daughter has four and a half months left!! Where has the time gone?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you! You are on about the same schedule we are on. :) Our daughter is due home in late May.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts